The origins of the Ascoma Group go back to 1896, with the creation of a first brokerage office in Paris. Since then, the group has significantly transformed, particularly in its international development, to become the leader in insurance brokerage in French-speaking Africa. Today, the group consists of more than 700 employees in 23 countries.
From family business to international expansion
The Ascoma Group is a pioneer in insurance brokerage in Africa, where some subsidiaries have been established for seventy years, the group has over time created the first independent brokerage network in sub-Saharan Africa.
- 1896: Creation of Cabinet Poujade et Cie
- 1937: Raymond Jutheau renames the firm "Faugère & Jutheau" which will quickly become the first French insurance broker.
- 1950: Opening of Faugère & Jutheau in Monaco.
FIRST ESTABLISHMENTS IN AFRICA
The group created its first subsidiaries in Africa from the 1950s.
- 1952-1953: creation of a subsidiary in Madagascar and Cameroon.
- 1961-1963: opening of Ivory Coast and Gabon.
- 1968: Ascoma sets up in the Central African Republic.
GROUP REALIGNMENT AROUND MONACO AND AFRICA
- 1992: The family sells its French business activities (Faugère & Jutheau) to Marsh & McLennan, the world's leading insurance broker. Ascoma retains its African network as well as its Monegasque company, Jutheau Husson.
- 2000: The group takes the name “Ascoma” with the creation of the parent company “Ascoma Insurers and Advisers” in Monaco which includes the African and Monegasque subsidiaries.
FURTHER EXPANSION OF THE NETWORK
- 2003: Creation of Ascoma Maritime in Monaco, dedicated to yachting
- 2003-2004: establishment in Congo, the DRC and Equatorial Guinea. Creation of Ascoma International in Paris, centre of the group`s international coordination and expertise.
- 2006- 2007: opening in Rwanda, Senegal, Benin, Burundi and Mauritania.
- 2010-2011: Ascoma sets up in Togo, Chad, Ghana and Guinea Conakry.
- 2012-2015: Creation of new subsidiaries in Niger, Burkina Faso, Mali.
Today, Ascoma has the largest independent brokerage network in sub-Saharan Africa.
- 2015: Hervé Husson is appointed Chairman of the Ascoma Group; Patricia Husson becomes Honorary President.
- 2021: Chedid Capital acquires 80% of Ascoma. Husson family remains shareholder with a 20% stake.
- Farid Chedid is appointed Chairman and CEO of the Ascoma Group.